Frequently Asked Questions About Adoption

What Is The Fastest Way To Adopt A Child?

There really isn’t one. Adoption orders require an often complex, time-consuming legal process. The many moving pieces — legal details, documentation, cooperation of a birth parent or parents, appearances in court as needed, the roles of agencies and social service professionals — these are factors that should only be coordinated by an experienced adoption attorney with a positive track record in this field.

What Rights Will I Have As An Adoptive Parent If My Efforts To Adopt Are Successful?

Your situation will be identical to those of a biological parent — legal decision-making, financial support, the right to have your adopted child inherit your estate, beneficiary rights if you become disabled, and child custody and visitation if your marriage or relationship ends.

I’m Specifically Interested In A Private Placement. What Do These Look Like, Typically?

Let’s say that an aunt, uncle or grandparent, pursue adoption of an orphaned child. Or it could be that a stepparent wants to take on full parental responsibility, assuming that the child’s birth mother consents. In other private placements, someone who is unknown to the biological parents may arrange an adoption with them through a third party. Birth parents can also benefit from the assistance of a skilled adoption lawyer.

What If We Change Our Minds In Favor Of An Agency Placement?

This is one of many options you have as you’re adding to your family. In this instance, I help you to select and apply to the agency that’s right for you, help you through the background check, direct your search for a child, handle a temporary provisional placement, and at the end of the process, file a petition for finalization.

Is It Possible To Adopt A Central American Child Who Has Been Left Alone In Our Country Due To Family Separations And Deportations At Our Southern Border?

The Special Immigrant Juvenile (SIJ) status program was created by a federal agency to help foreign children in the U.S. who have been abandoned, or abused and neglected by American parents or guardians. This status allows the child to legally remain in the U.S.

How Can I Start The Adoption Process In General? Do I Need To Apply Or Complete A Form, Or Speak With A Lawyer?

I offer initial consultations to gauge your particular interests. Just call Linda M. DiPasquale, Attorney at Law at 716-800-2591 or send an email message from wherever you are in greater Buffalo, Erie County or the Niagara region of New York state. Adopting a child is the noble goal of courageous, compassionate people — so I am always proud to do what I can for prospective adoptive parents.